Wednesday, January 14, 2009

orphange

So I cant believe that it is already almost time to leave. Time here is flying and if I was honest I really dont want to come back to America, at least not yet, there is so much left to do here. It will be weird coming home and not only because there is a 50 degree temp difference! I went back to the orphanage today though because something about those children just make me happy and make me feel like I matter. Some of the children went back to school this week so in the beginning it was just 4 children. We worked on our ABC's and numbers, and speaking english. We sang songs in swahili and english trying to get the children to relate the words since actions were also involved in the songs. It is neat to see when the child is actually learning, its almost like you can see something just click in their brain. We also had some play time with coloring books and a ball. It was too hot to take them to the field today because the children only have access to so much water during the day it is not good for them to sweet it all out. It is weird because it is opposite in America. Most children in America would love to be told that they can stay inside, but I guess we also have game devices and other things as well. The children we so upset when Mama would not let them go, so we improvised and played a ball game in the room. After a little while the other children came back from school. We have coloring and play time and story time. The children loved the stories. some were in swahili and some in English. Even though some did not understand all of the english when they saw our facial expressions change during story time they got really excited. I also helped mama to do some of the childrens laundry, which you have to scrub by hand then rinse by hand, then rinse again and then hang to dry. Even though Mama has one other helper she also has to do the cooking and everyone pretty much knows how children go through clothers, but it is a lot harder when then children only have a couple of outfits to wear and everyone has to share. It was a learning experience washing clothes and makes me value the simplicity of the washing machine which I have never really had to think of. It makes me really sad that I have to leave these wonderful children so soon, but hopefully the new volunteers who will become can pick up the pace. See everyone soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment