Thursday, January 1, 2009

Day 2
















So Arusha is pretty amazing. I am on the outskirts of town, kind of what we would consider a subdivision. The bus system here is color coded and I have learned to take the yellow dalla dalla into town. Went into town for the first time yesterday. What can I say but culture shock. Everything was so different, driving was crazing. It is whoever gets there first goes and whoever is in the street just dont get hit. I have learned some more swhilli and am able to communicated better with the locals. We celebrated News Years last night but another thing that is different is that no one really counted down except the volunteers. In fact we counted down many times because no one really knew what time it was. HAPPY NEW YEARS! I went to AICC Hospital which is a local hospital here. There is a gate and a security guard you must pass through to enter. Also on the ground are armed police and army forces. At the hospital here it is about 30.000 shillings for stitches which equates to 30 dollars. MAJOR difference in health care. We are still in orientation and learning the area and the culture. We had omlette pizza with fries on top last night which was pretty good. The children here and people are amazing. Most everyone here are really welcoming and have smilies on their faces. Poverty here is pretty extreme and can be noticed instantly when walking through town. People on the side of the street with cups, people who are dirty, and people missing limbs. It just goes to show how much help is needed over here. We are also working on building a library and painting in for the children. Not very many people go to school here, but the ones that do are fantastic. Could not ask for a better group. One weird thing is I have found that many other cultures do no like Americans, and I have been constantly defending our country. But why is that??

4 comments:

  1. Wow, what an awesome blog. When you click on the pictures they open up full size in the browser. Mom wasn't home when I first checked this morning but she is now and has seen it. When I first tried to post a comment this morning it wouldn't let me so I have now created a google account and will try again. The pictures kinda remind us of St Maarten away from the resorts. I see signs i English... is it commonly spoken? Take care & HAPPY NEW YEAR LINDSAY!!!

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linz
    Happy New Year. You'll never forget where you were when you welcomed in 2009. Are you going to be able to run there? Also have you met your host family yet? Send pics!!!You look so happy. Keep telling us what you eat and how the money you spend equates to our $$. Just got back from the hotel but can't seem to concentrate, always wondering what you are doing. Have fun and be safe
    Love
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lindsay! Happy New Year, I am glad to hear that you made your travels safely. The pics look great, and I will have to admit i'm kinda jealous that you are in a warm climate haha. I can't believe the comment you made about their health care system, and I thought poverty was bad here, but thats just heartbreaking. I'm happy that you are eating good, especially fries haha. Take care and don't go running by yourself!

    Love
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alright!!! Way to go Lindsay! We miss you on RCU. Don't get too close to too many animals, just stand back and take pictures, we want to see you back with all you limbs LOL. I could have told you that not many other cultures like Americans, they think we are spoiled, over educated know it all's. I don't know why. It's kinda painful but its life. Do your best over there, take care of someone extra special for me too. Don't forget a Kitty picture.

    Take Care
    Carletta

    ReplyDelete