Sunday, May 17, 2009

At the airport...again

So I am sitting at the airport...AGAIN...waiting for my flight. I feel like I have lived in airports recently, not that I am complaining at all....it is the opportunity of a lifetime and I feel very fortunate for being able to do everything I am doing. Me, being the constant procrastinator that I am, woke up this morning still needing to finish packing....in my own defense I did pack most of it last night! I am very thankful for everyone who was able to donate items to the orphanage. Even things that seem small in America are very appreciated in countries where having chalk or magnifying glasses, and pencils for school are not always an option. I would like to say that I was able to fit everything in the the bag and it was 50 lbs exactly! I will take plenty of pictures of the children so you are able to see the difference you are making in the lives of people who are strangers to you but family to me. As I sit here waiting it brings back old memories and hopes for new memories that are even better than before. I am a little nervous to go back. Things will be different. Many other volunteers will have come and gone during my time away, the children will have grown, and times will just be different. If there is one thing I have learned from all of my traveling is to have NO expectations...and that literally means NO, NONE, zip, not even your basic I hope to have a good time expectations. If you go in this way there is no disappointment. You take everything for what it is and form your own thoughts and opinions about the experience. You can't think about the past and hope that it will be the same, because it won't be the same. You can't think of how you imagine it to be, because it will never be that way. I am going in with no expectations. I am living my life, helping those that need it most. I know I will make a difference. Even if it is not seen immediately, in the long run, I am changing the world and people. It may only be a couple of people who I am able to impact, but who knows how a positive impact on a few can turn into multiple people. Think of all the people you know. If you smile at one person and they are having a bad day, you could change their attitude for that day, and then think how many people that person will talk to during the day, who will now be shown a positive attitude due to you. It continues to branch out. You have the power to be a positive aspect in peoples life everyday....make the most of it. As I embark on my journey I ask that you please keep me in your thoughts and prayers, as well as all the other volunteers all over the world who are trying to be that positive force and make a difference, no matter how small, in the lives of others!

(all the donations)


















(done with nursing school)






















(done with work)


















No comments:

Post a Comment