Wednesday, May 27, 2009

it never fails...

Yes it never fails...I am hurt again. It was really random how it all happened. I was fine after I got home from playing soccer and dancing, and I was fine when I went to bed, but then I woke up crying at 2:30 AM with excruciating pain in my right foot. I didn't want to wake anyone up, because what are you going to do at 2:30 AM...nothing. So I rolled around trying not to cry and eventually the pain got so bad that I had to go to the bathroom because I almost threw up. I then managed to make it out to the security guard to try to get a taxi but of course he was confused at what was going on so I hobbled back to my bed. I laid in bed in pain until I finally exhausted myself and fell asleep at 5:30 AM. I woke up again around 7 still in pain. The cook for the house who I am friends with insisted on doing some local treatment with water and salt and then she proceeded to rub my foot...it was probably one of the most painful experiences...in fact I woke up everyone at the house crying and screaming. There is a doctor in the house right now so she was of course like what??...no?? but she would not stop rubbing and contorting my foot. On the bright side she caused me so much pain that my pain now feels minimal. Anyway I ended up going to AICC hospital...a private hospital. So needless to say I got a very first hand view of the health care system. Everything here is cashed based. You have to pay 10,000 TSh to see the doctor. Then they give you a number for a room. You wait in the waiting room until that room opens and whoever gets in the door next goes first. I was sitting in the hospital forever because no one told me....I guess I got used to having my name called. I went in to see the doctor and he kept calling me mzungu (white person) which was really frustrating and unprofessional. He never once touched my foot, in fact he only "glanced" at my foot for maybe 2 seconds. He sent me to Xray, which I expected. I had to pay another 10,000 TSh for the xray, and wait 20 minutes to find a wheelchair to go back. There are no lead aprons, no "could you be pregnant" questions, no anything. In fact my house manager was standing right next to me while I was getting the Xray taken. After that I had to wait for the xray FILM to be developed, take it back to the waiting room and wait to see the doctor again. He glanced at it and said oh its a sprain, when clearly there was a fracture that even I and the nurse that went with me could see. As most people know I am allergic to NSAIDS, which makes it hard to take pain medication. They have no pain medication outside of NSAIDS and Tylenol. There is no such thing as codeine in this country. Then he told me to put some cream on and wrap my foot. I got sent to the pharmacy where it was another 6,000 TSh for an ace bandage that is child size and cream. After we got home the nurse that was with me looked up the cream in a drug book because I recognized on of the ingredients. And yes...the doctor...after I told him what I was allergic to....prescribed me medication I was allergic to!!! Smart!! I got my copy of the Xray (the next day) which was a hassle because they didn't understand and tried to make me pay again. I brought it home to the doctor from England that is here and it took her 2 seconds worth of looking to say "yep, it is def broken" The health care system here is amazing. I mean seriously, how do you not exam your patient, take a history, or even take the time to look at an xray, and then prescribe medication I am allergic too!!! They do not have boots here or anything! I am leaving today for Egypt, and they are supposed to have a good international hospital there so I was be visiting that upon arrival. Oh the life of Africa....TIA...AWA! on a side note it appears to a stress fracture since I was doing a lot of activity before hand and there was no real incident that occurred.

1 comment:

  1. Didn't your hurt your foot last summer from running as well?
    Where were you when you hurt yourself?

    ReplyDelete