Thursday, January 17, 2013

The Road Less Traveled


So it's January 17, 2103 and I am sitting in the Raleigh airport awaiting my flight. I am starting to get a little nervous. I mean who travels to India? At least that is what a lot of people have said to me. Ever since reading the book Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts (introduced to me by Ali in Tanzania) I have had this deep desire to travel halfway around the world. There is just something about that book that sets the stage for desire to see this amazing country. If you have not read it, which I assume is most of you, I highly recommend it. It is in my top 5 books I have ever read. So reading that book in 2009 took me to where I am in 2013. 

Many of you know that I am in nurse anesthesia school at Wake Forest University. I graduate in 7 months and 1 day...exciting I know! My school is very big into mission trips and we are allowed to go during our senior year. Typically students go to Rwanda, Ghana, Kenya, or the Dominican Republic. Me being me, I wanted to be different. I thought I have been to the Caribbean and Africa multiple times, what else could I do? I did a little research and made contacts with different surgical mission groups. Many of them wanted experienced Anesthesia providers and I don't blame them. I mean I have no idea what I am getting myself into anesthesia wise, but only one way to find out. Finally, I was able to make contact with a group named www.worldsurgicalfoindaton.org and they said sure, the more the merrier. I got approval from the school and the next thing I know I'm sitting in the airport about to embark on a 3 week adventure. 

I leave today from Raleigh an arrive in Admedabad at 3 am on Saturday morning. After a 2 hour bus ride we will get to Khambat, the city of our mission. There are 200 surgeries scheduled for the 7 days in the 5 operating rooms we have access to. After the mission part we are doing a R & R trip with the group. I will be going to Delhi, Agra, and Jaipur. After the organized trip I will be going solo to Goa and Mumbai for 4.5 days. Needless to say this is another adventure of a lifetime. I will try to blog as much as I can time and Internet depending, of course. I hope you enjoy reading and coming along on my adventure with me! 








2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to share your adventure with you. You are a brave woman!!!
    Aunt Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. No crutches on this trip, k? Have fun! Stay safe. Mary Chadwick

    ReplyDelete